According to the findings of the U.S. Department of Labor, truck driving is one of the most rewarding professions in the country and drivers in the state of California earn on an average, 10 percent more than their counterparts in other states. This makes it natural that countless men and women would be eyeing a career in truck driving in California.
The commercial driver’s license (CDL) is the key to a rewarding trucking career. So how do you get yourCDL in California? The process of obtaining a CDL in California is a tad different from applying for a regular driver’s license and the following are the steps involved:
• The first step is to apply for a CDL in California at the office of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You will need to fill out form DL44C; provide documentary evidence of your name, age, and social security number; furnish a medical certificate; and take and pass a vision test.
• Pay the application fees at the office.
• Truck driving hopefuls who want to obtain a CDL in California must first pass a written examination where they will be tested on the contents from the California Commercial Driver License Handbook. This CDL manual can be obtained from the website of the California DMV. Study the portion that pertains to the operation of commercial vehicles and those that deal with the particular endorsements you may have applied to have.
• After you have taken the written test and passed it, you will receive a permit that will let you undergo practical training on commercial vehicles.
• To obtain a CDL in California, it is imperative that you get trained in a reputable truck driver training school where you will get to master the on-road driving skills needed to pass the test. So after you have received your learner’s permit, find a school that meets your needs. At CDL License, we have prepared a thorough list of truck driving schools from all over the country to help you find one.
• After you have completed the training program, schedule a test at the DMV office. To obtain a CDL in California, you need to take the practical test on a vehicle whose class matches the one for which you want the license.
So, now that you know how to get a CDL in California, improve your chances of bagging one by enrolling at the best of the trucking schools in your state. Call us at 1-800-878-2537 to know more information.