Truck driver school requirements usually vary across schools and also depend on the governmental regulations of a specific state. Besides, trucking companies that operate their own training schools are known to enforce more stringent truck driver school requirements than the schools. However, the following are some basic truck driver school requirements that are likely to be in place in every school across the country:
• The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of the United States. He has to of course, provide documentary evidence to support his claims.
• The applicant must hold a valid driver’s license in his state of residence. He must not also have any pending traffic ticket payments in any state.
• At the time of applying, the applicant must also show his Social Security card.
• According to truck driver school requirements, an applicant must never have been convicted of driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol; leaving the scene of an accident that had caused a grave injury or death; or any felony charges involving a motor vehicle during the last three years.
• Mandated by all truck driver school requirements, an applicant must not have any defect or impairment in the hands and feet that can hamper his ability to operate a motor vehicle.
• According to truck driver school requirements, the applicant must pass the physical and drug tests mandated by the Department of Transportation. These include physical tests for medical conditions like cardiac ailments, diabetes, and high blood pressure. In certain truck driver training schools, these tests are carried out during the first week of the training program, but at the time of applying, the applicant must provide a fit-to-drive medical certificate.
Now that you know about the basic truck driver school requirements, you can start scouting for the best school in your region. We, at CDL License, have drawn up a comprehensive list of reputable trucking schools from all over the country. Call us at 1-800-878-2537 to know more about what it takes to get into atruck driver training school.